Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Easy to replace fuses in the 50 to 500 amps range - suggestions?

David Hansen wrote:
On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 19:29:25 +0100 someone who may be Dave Osborne
wrote this:-

But that (the physical destruction of the fuse) demonstrates either a
flawed design or a catastrophic event, does it not?

A flawed design of the installation, yes. As I said it was a minor
niggle.

It's still a whole lot better than setting fire to the wiring. I
suppose the exploding fuse might start a fire but 10 metres (in my
case) of smouldering insulation sounds decidedly worse than some bits
of exploded fuse sprayed around the engine compartment.

In reality I doubt if I have any really serious worries as regards
rupture capacity with fuses on a 12 volt system driven by just one
(admittedly big, 1050 amp CCA) battery.

Actually, looking at the Littelfuse data, the 'interrupt capacity' of
the Mega Fuse range is only 2000 Amps at 32 volts so it's possibly
marginal for my application. Although what happens if you exceed the
interrupt capacity is anybody's guess.

--
Chris Green