Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] aribert@c3net.net is offline

Default Cutting torch use question - technique help needed

Thanks for the suggestions and insight. I had my O2 at about 20 lbs
so I'll up that a bit. I know that I bought a selection of torch tips
(20+ years ago when I bought the torch set) and I will check what tip
I have been using. I don't think that I am going too slow - I have a
habit of overrunning into cold metal and having to stop to reheat. I
typically have about a 60 to 75 degree angle of torch tip to work so
that the flame is cutting into the work - but that by itself did not
do the trick.

I agree that practice is something that I am lacking. I use the smoke
wrench much more for heating - either heat & beat or to free a rusted
or pressed on part. I don't have a rosebud tip and years ago I even
used the cutting torch (set to a "cool" acetylene rich flame) to heat
the sheetmetal bonnet on my Triumph so that I could hammer form a
power buldge to clear the tripple Webers that I added (that ended up
being a 2 inch deep deformation and the metal is **real** thin (real
tinny when I tap my finernail on it) at the deepest draw).