Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Herbert Lathe and domed Drum

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 23:32:34 -0700 (PDT), George
wrote:

Hello again,

I have a 60 year old Herbert preoptive Lathe. It is quite huge and I
have a chuck with a very bad case of worn out scroll. My question is:
is it possible to replace the scroll and the jaw carriers, or what
ever they are called. or would it be easier to get a whole chuck, -
there is no runout on the body of the chuck? I get runout that varies
over about 20 thou, depending on which bit of the scroll is in use.
What about the chances of finding a 4 jaw that would fit on the 3 stud
fixing. Does anyone have anything that is better than what I have
that is no longer in use? Anything considered. I am near Norwich.

3 stud lathe chuck? Give me the diameter and the pin sizes and Ill see
what I have.

My Clausing 1500 is a 3 pin removable chuck and I have extra stuff

Gunner

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)