Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Upgrade to 200AMP or keep 100AMP?

On 9/14/2010 7:57 PM, The Henchman wrote:

I was looking at this when I was considering adding solar. I have a
100 AMP drop that is really maxed out because of the pool pump and the
A/C both of which were added by previous owners after the house was
built.

The problem with 200 AMPS is that the panel is much larger and would
not fit into the existing opening. However there were 150 AMP panels
that would work and that would be sufficient. I've done nothing so
far, but I'd probably go the 150 AMP route as it would be less
disruptive and for a 2000 square foot house with a gas dryer, gas
furnace, and gas water heater, 150 amps is sufficient.

I did the same thing. We are replacing our 100 amp fuse panel with 16
circuits to a 100 amp 32/64 panel. We are converting the 40 amp stove to
a gas stove/oven that draws 5 amps for the convection motor and we are
converting the 20 amp electric dryer to a gas dryer that draw 5 amps for
the motor. We are adding in a 15 amp dishwasher but that leaves us with
a gain of 35 amps.

Note we have gas heat and gas hot water.

For many years this house was running near max with no issues. Now we'll
be at 75% on a hectic day:

Maybe you guys can tell me if I'm correct in my assumption: Worst case
scenario now: gas dryer (5A) + gas oven (5A) + washing machine (9A) +
dishwasher (15 A) + a/c (20 A) + pool motor (7.5 A) + microwave and
range hood together(15 A) would equal 75 amp draw. That leaves 25 amps
for lights, tevee, computer, or toaster etc.

Worst case scenario with previous owners: Elect Dryer (20A) + Electric
oven/stove (40 A) + a/c (20A) + pool motor (7.5) = 87.5 Amp draw on a 42
year old cartigage fuse box. Turn on a microwave and one other motor
appliance and you're exceeding 100 amps without factoring in lights etc.

For us the cost of upgrading to 200A was $600. We have a 1700 sq ft home
but no kids yet. When our kids become teenagers we'll have to upgrade
then I would think.

Since we are new homeowners money is thin so $600 is pretty dear to us.
My main concern was the ability to add more circuits. I had three
electricians quote me on the panel change and they all agreed with my
reasoning to save the $600 and stay with 100 Amp service.

Hope I made the right decision.

none of those things you detailed out pull as much as you estimated.

--
Steve Barker