john moorhead

Default Table saw: DeWalt General Grizzly

Hello -

FWIW, when I see a post about "which saw" and the normal repies, I feel
obligated to "cast my vote" for the General 350 or the left tilt version the
650 I think. I purchased the saw used, and it's about 8 years old - I have
used Uni's and I have to say I am VERY happy with this saw. DAGS on General
350 or TS in newsgroups and you'll find a wealth of posts. I think that
General, like Bridgewood, doesn't always have people's attention and they
get locked into Delta/PM/Griz/Jet when there ARE other GREAT tools out
there.

I was in your situation, I did LOTS of checking looking and reading, and
nobody had anything bad to say about the general. Not so with PM and Delta,
much larger companies, and more out there, so that has to be taken into
account, but I wanted to fly the Maple Leaf for General.

John Moorhead
Lakeport, CA

"Wayne Brissette" wrote in message
thlink.net...
On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:31:31 -0600, Peter De Smidt wrote
(in message ):

Next, a General International 50-260 M1 with a 50" fence. This would
set me back $1270. Is this saw significantly different from a
Grizzly? GI lists the amperage draw 12.7 versus the Grizzly's 18, but
otherswise it's hard to tell. Is it worth $250 more?

Peter:

In talking with the General Distributor today (I'm also in the market for
nice cabinet saw), I found that the 260 is basically the same saw as the

185
with exception of the base (at least that's what he claims). It seems that
you and I are looking at very similar (and some of the same) saws. Since

this
saw will be my last, I'm leaning towards the 350. I have to make up my

mind
by Wednesday of this week since the distributor is placing his order then.
He'll order any other time, but then I would have to pay freight. If he

puts
it in with his order I wouldn't have to pay freight, but I would have to
drive 100 miles to his store to pick it up.

Hope the info on the 250/260 helps.

Wayne