Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Best way to cut cleanly on installed cabinets?

"Bob F" wrote in message
How long do these blades last? I probably have 6 feet of 3/4" ply on this
project to cut, and maybe the same for another. Will I need a spare blade?

Can I use a straight length of wood as a guide for this blade to get a
straight cut? Maybe I need to try this first, unless someone here has done
it.

I have not used a guide but I think it may be possible with the flat side of
the blade along the guide. Test on scrap pieces first. Maybe spray a little
silicone on the guide or the flat side of the blade.

My experience was that once you scored the entire cut line by about 1/16" no
guide would be necessary as the tool tends to follow the groove. That first
score line I did very slowly and carefully with a steady hand but I had the
option of using caulk for any minor glitches. I suggest you score with a
utility knife as another poster suggested whether you use a guide or not. A
lexan/laminate scorer might even be better. Test first.

Overall the tool is about 20 times easier to control than a Rotozip doing
the same job IF the RZ could even do the job. It also cut much slower.

The circle blade seems to be much higher quality than the straight blades.
I feel fairly sure you will get 6 feet of cutting from one blade. I cut at
least that much and I am not ready to buy a new one yet. Sooner or later you
will hit a nail so I would buy a spare if they are not as close to you as
they are me. For sure you should have extra straights if you use them.

--
Colbyt