Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5013 Ignoramus5013 is offline

Default Made a phase converter 3 days ago

On 2010-09-14, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus5013 wrote:

3. To start this motor electrically, would require a starting circuit,
which is of course doable, but much more expensive for the buyer and I
did not have start caps on hand. This is not a sophisticated guy and
he is okay with rope start.

Years ago, like 1975 or so or, uncle sent me out to a friends place to look at his rpc.
Honking big 25 hp motor and rope start. Guy made a living grinding broaches like in
engine main bearings and camshaft bores.

Every morning, rope start, switch on the motor, switch on the grinders. I'm not sure he
even had caps on his system but it earned him a living until he retired years later.

Sometimes good enough is.

Yep. He must have been very strong.

I remember how in 1975 I was given a toy circus truck and took it all
apart. My mom was upset. I was 4