Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_2_] chaniarts[_2_] is offline

Default Upgrade to 200AMP or keep 100AMP?

SMS wrote:
On 9/13/2010 1:47 PM, millinghill wrote:
Dear Readers,
I'm getting contractors' quotes on replacing my existing main
electrical panel (The subpanel for the house distribution is circuit
breakers, but the main panel is old 100amp fuse block, not circuit
breakers.). Some of them are saying that replacement of the line
from the power company to my main box must be done with such a
replacement, and that I should upgrade to 200AMP service while I'm
at it. I've been just fine with 100AMP service. My house is 1500sqft. I
ran calcs (following guidelines in an electrical load design book)
that showed even if I "finished" my basement and had window air
conditioners in most rooms, and the electric stove blaring, I would
not exceed 100AMPS. I can't imagine I will ever install central air,
and my property can't fit a pool. So, my opinion is I have no big
electric loads in the foreseeable future.

Question #1: to replace main panel, is it standard procedure to
replace service line drop?
Question #2: If #1 is NOT true, should I upgrade to 200AMP service
now just because they're doing the work right there? Is there a
realistic benefit other than looking good on a real estate listing
when I sell in 20years?

I was looking at this when I was considering adding solar. I have a
100 AMP drop that is really maxed out because of the pool pump and
the A/C both of which were added by previous owners after the house
was built.
The problem with 200 AMPS is that the panel is much larger and would
not fit into the existing opening. However there were 150 AMP panels
that would work and that would be sufficient. I've done nothing so
far, but I'd probably go the 150 AMP route as it would be less
disruptive and for a 2000 square foot house with a gas dryer, gas
furnace, and gas water heater, 150 amps is sufficient.

for you. for someone else? maybe not. i have 200a service and all gas
appliances along with a solar system, and wish i had 300a and a larger box
(it's full and has 40 slots). i have 2 pottery kilns at 50a each that i
can't run at the same time, a large compressor for sandblasting, and i'd
like to upgrade to a 100a kiln.