Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Made a phase converter 3 days ago

On 09/14/2010 07:54 AM, Ignoramus5013 wrote:
That was kind of a fun gig. Someone paid me $350 to make a pahse
converter out of parts that cost me about $50 (10 HP Baldor motor,
fused disconnect switch, oil caps etc). Took me about 1.5 hours to
do. This is a rope start phase converter with both legs balanced with
capacitors (90 uF per leg on a 10 HP idler).

At idle, the voltages were something like 243, 247, and 248 volts.

I'm confused. If you have capacitors handy for balancing, why can't you
switch one in as a start cap? Or does that just make for endless
complications?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services