RichardS

Default Choosing location for kitchen appliances

wrote in message
Duncan Lees duncan-at-snsys-dot-com wrote:
wrote:
That wasn't the problem we had, they were (in general) just plain
incompetant. One position a dishwasher under a sink, that's simply
impossible, it won't fit.

I assume you mean he put the dishwasher under the bowl of the sink
itself? Not so good. You can put a dishwasher under the draining board
side of sink and use the space under the bowl as a normal cupboard.
Handy for all the water and waste plumbing.

Yes, it was under the bowl! Having the dishwasher near the sink makes
sense from the point of view of using it as well of course. You can
empty dregs etc. in the sink which, if nothing else, is usually less
messy than dribbling them into the dishwasher.

wow, that's pretty incompetent for a so-called designer... what height was
the worktop at - normal height plus 30 cm??!!!

I butchered the cabinet under the sink so that our (slim width) dishwasher
would fit underneath the drainer. As far as practicality goes we're finding
it an ideal position. As you say, emptying dregs and rinsing off debris is
easy.

From the kitchen designers that I've had dealings with, they appear to be
people who don't cook an awful lot. The old "work triangle" design with
sink, fridge and hob at each apex is an efficient kitchen (but I realise
this just isn't practical in many kitches - especially galley style ones).
You really need some worktop space at both sides of the hob, worktop space
on the non-drainer side of the sink and at least some other contiguous
worktop space for preparation.

With suitable insulation between them I wouldn't see oven and fridge
together as such a problem with modern appliances.

I'd really not want a hob flush against any tall unit - for safety I'd want
to be able to remove a pan quickly from the hob in either direction.

But then, I'm fussy about these things....

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson