Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Easy to replace fuses in the 50 to 500 amps range - suggestions?

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:23:00 +0100 someone who may be Dave Osborne
wrote this:-

The fuse has no idea (and doesn't care) whether the
current flowing is a.c. or d.c. until the point where it ruptures due to
overheating. At the point it ruptures, if the current flowing is A.C.,
then the arc is quenched immediately. If the current flowing is D.C.
then the arcing time will be longer. Therefore, the rated breaking
capacity of a fuse is lower for D.C. than for A.C., but the current/time
characteristic curves are the same.

Within the limits of the discussion I agree, with the minor niggle
that the arc will only be quenched "immediately" on AC if the
current is less than the breaking capacity of the fuse. If it is
more then the fuse cracking, falling to bits or exploding is
possible. The damage if this happens has to be seen to be believed.

see he http://www.lawsonfuses.eu/lowvoltage.pdf

The difference between AC and DC is dramatic. That reference says

"Breaking Capacity

"The standardized values of Breaking Capacity for fuse-links to
BS88 are 80kA for voltages of 415V a.c., and above, and 40kA for
d.c., applications. The 240V a.c., designs have a breaking capacity
of 16kA minimum."

Fuses are good devices, other types of AC equipment may not be
suitable for use on DC at all.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54