Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default Kittens on the keys?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:58:43 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Jules Richardson wrote:

I think I got my PS/2-USB convertor from clickykeyboards.com. I do
have a PS/2 socket on the PC, but every so often the keyboard would
stop responding when plugged into it; I wonder if it's a current-draw
issue.

Model M takes about 112mA (supposedly 100x more current than a modern
PS/2 keyboard), the PS/2 port should be willing to provide up to 275mA,
but I gather some modern machines are unwilling ...

Yes, I suspect that some modern motherboards fare better than others. It
might be that my keyboard's drawing more than it should due to age-
related problems too (or that the early ones such as mine are actually a
little more power-hungry than later M's)

No problems via the USB widget, though.

I must grab one ...

Just make sure you get an "intelligent" one - it's hard to tell from a
lot of ads out there whether the thing for sale is just a dumb convertor
or not (and some folk will try to sell you a dumb convertor claiming
it'll work)

cheers

Jules