Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Any P-38 experts around?

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:35:17 -0400, Wes
wrote:

" wrote:

My wife and I attended a family reunion in Tillamook, OR in July, then
visited the Air Museum at the old blimp base in Tillamook, OR for a
couple of hours. They advertise all their planes are in flying
condition. That includes one P-38.

I've had the joy of seeing P-38's fly at Oskosh EAA. My feeble brain, when seeing the
subject line for this thread, was going oh goodie, plane, pistol or can opener. All
devices I admire.

Almost bought a P-38 once but I did enough research to realise it was an afterwar alloy
frame model. (pistol) Damn. There are three iconic guns I don't have yet, the Lugar,
P-38, and the M1911.

Some machines exude sex and hormones. Think Italian sports cars and the P-38 Lightning,
like Raquel in her advanced age, is still hot!

Wes

Yup, and they'll kill your ass. Jeff Ethell, the photographer, bought
it at Tillamook in the classic P-38 crash, engine out followed by spin
in. And his dad, a P-38 vet with 10,000 hrs witnessed the crash. The
manual says if you're below a fairly high speed, I think 120 with
flaps or thereabouts, and you lose an engine, you immediately chop the
other engine and go in straight ahead. Below some speed, and Ethell
was observed to be going "too slow", you can't keep that thing from
spinning on one engine.

Pete Keillor