Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:24:09 +0100 someone who may be Tim Streater
wrote this:-

The normal definition relates to fuels created out of organic material,
previously living material, laid down in geological times since the
planet was created.

Uranium and other minerals (e.g. other metals such as iron, tungsten,
etc) are what was left in the earth's crust after it solidified. Not
fossil at all.

Iron and tungsten are not used as fuels. Uranium is and it seems
sensible to me to consider it along with other fuels which are dug
out of the ground, no matter what definition some may use. I can see
why nuclear enthusiasts hate the comparison, but it is a valid one.

Sorry, but you simply can't bend definitions to suit your own viewpoints.

See http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fossil+fuel

Whilst uranium might be a mined commodity, it is not a fossil fuel, not
least because it doesn't generate carbon compounds when used for electricity
generation ...

Arfa

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh