Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

An additional 1.123 GW of wind is under construction (same source).

It looks like wave and tidal are about to start the same rise as
wind has had. Meanwhile hydro is now being developed again, the idea
that there are no more sites having been exploded.

But the returns from all of these 'interesting' technologies - in this
country at least - are so small as to be difficult to justify against the
manufacturing and maintenance budgets. To say nothing of the aesthetic
impact.

There has been no law to stop nuclear plants being built, but the
privatised operators have not built any. Since Sizewell B opened in
1995 no new nuclear generation has been built in the UK.

Due in no small part to the continued lobbying of the environmental
anti-nuclear brigade, and governments too gutless to stand up to them.

Much to the continued political and financial joy of the Frogs and Ruskies,
of course ...

We seriously need to get much more independent of other countries again for
our own energy needs, and the only sensible and quick way to do this, is to
start a nuclear building program again.

Arfa

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh