Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Back off" fully opened faucet?

On 9/12/2010 10:06 PM, wrote:
in my lifetime I ONLY had one ball valve exhibit troubles.

shower had kinda decreased flow for long time, I figured it was a
valve washer.

Decided to replace 3 valve bathtub valve with a single handle temp
control valve.

Had heck of a time getting ball valve closed, how wierd. Noted low
flow of hot effected sink too but it was less noticeable.

Finally got ball valve closed, replaced fixture but attached a hunk of
garden hose on hot line out of curosity water went in bucket.

there was debris in hot line that went into bucket. gravel.......

glad I did that before attaching new fixture the gravel might have
mucked up my new valve.

apparently gravel must of gotten in a water company line during a
repair. found gravel in screen washers on washing machines, and sink
strainer

The contamination could have happened when the water meter was
installed. Whenever I install or replace a pressure regulator
on the water main for a home or business, I make sure the regulator
has a screen or I install a Y-strainer.

TDD