Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Back off" fully opened faucet?

On 9/12/2010 6:36 PM, wrote:
On Sep 12, 6:45 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 9/12/2010 12:03 PM, harry wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:09 pm, Higgs wrote:
Amigos y amigas, this has been bugging me for years. I was taught
that after opening a faucet to its fullest, one should "back off" a
little.

WHY???

That is in fact correct engineering practise for valves as done in
organisations like the navy. In ideal circumstances, every valve is
operated, fully open to fully closed at least once a week to preclude
corrosion and seizure. Obviously some valves are normally open and
some normally closed.
If an open valve has been "backed off", a slight wiggle on the valve
handle will ascertain whether the valve is open or closed. (IE if
closed it won't move, if open it will)
It also reduces wear on the valve stem. (allegedly)
Not sure how this applies to a domestic faucet. :-)

I prefer ball valves, they're easy to use and determine their state.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Ball valves are the best.

I never have any problems with them, the stainless with the synthetic
seals of which there are several are what I like. If you've ever had
a connection pop, a ball valve will shut things off in a flash. I
always use them on natural gas lines especially 2 psi systems where
a lot of gas can quickly escape.

TDD