Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Any P-38 experts around?

steamer wrote:
--Went to the Mathers AFB air show this past weekend and got to see
4 of the 7 remaining P-38 Lightnings flying. I know they had Allison engines
and I remember the P-51s originally had these as well. Well the P-51 got the
Merlin and a huge boost in performance; why didn't this happen to the P-38s
as well? Talking to a pal at the show we decided it was due to a production
bottleneck; i.e. they couldn't be made in sufficient quantities to equip the
twin engine aircraft. Anyone know the truth of the matter?

The P-38 didn't need a moderate increase in power..
By virtue of having two engines it had twice the power of the P-51.
The very early ones had engines that turned the same direction.

The torque and P-factor made for a hand full under even fairly normal
takeoff conditions. They were quickly replaced with engines that turned
opposite directions which tamed the beast. Which is probably the real
answer to your question.

Its an awesome airplane!

http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/More_P-38_Stuff.html

Flight Characteristics of the P-38