Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Any P-38 experts around?

On Sep 12, 7:15*pm, steamer wrote:
* * * * --Went to the Mathers AFB air show this past weekend and got to see
4 of the 7 remaining P-38 Lightnings flying. I know they had Allison engines
and I remember the P-51s originally had these as well. Well the P-51 got the
Merlin and a huge boost in performance; why didn't this happen to the P-38s
as well? Talking to a pal at the show we decided it was due to a production
bottleneck; i.e. they couldn't be made in sufficient quantities to equip the
twin engine aircraft. Anyone know the truth of the matter?

--
* * * * "Steamboat Ed" Haas * * * * : *Beauty times brains *
* * * * Hacking the Trailing Edge! *: *is a constant..

My wife and I attended a family reunion in Tillamook, OR in July, then
visited the Air Museum at the old blimp base in Tillamook, OR for a
couple of hours. They advertise all their planes are in flying
condition. That includes one P-38.

Local guy here in Central Oregon was the one that is credited for
taking out Yamamoto using a P-38. What a guy! He is gone, now. What an
airplane! Even stationary, it looks like it's flying.

Paul