Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "Back off" fully opened faucet?

On Sep 12, 6:45*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 9/12/2010 12:03 PM, harry wrote:

On Sep 11, 8:09 pm, Higgs *wrote:
Amigos y amigas, this has been bugging me for years. *I was taught
that after opening a faucet to its fullest, one should "back off" a
little.

WHY???

That is in fact correct engineering practise for valves as done in
organisations like the navy. *In ideal circumstances, every valve is
operated, fully open to fully closed at least once a week to preclude
corrosion and seizure. Obviously some valves are normally open and
some normally closed.
If an open valve has been "backed off", *a slight wiggle on the valve
handle will ascertain whether the valve is open or closed. *(IE if
closed it won't move, if open it will)
It also reduces wear on the valve stem. (allegedly)
Not sure how this applies to a domestic faucet. * :-)

I prefer ball valves, they're easy to use and determine their state.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

Ball valves are the best.