Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_3_] Snag[_3_] is offline

Default Joining Aluminum without a TIG

wrote:
On Sep 12, 8:13 pm, Tim Wescott wrote:

These things have a header that comes off of the engine, then goes
into
a tube-shaped expansion chamber. See some examples
he
http://www.mecoa.com/kb/aero/aircraft.htm

I'm thinking that I can fabricate one of these with a machined
header,
machined ends, and a section of tube. But it'll all be aluminum, so
how
to join the pieces?

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Serviceshttp://www.wescottdesign.com

Could you use machine screws to hold the header to the front machined
end? And then run a threaded rod through the tube to hold the
machined ends.

Or use lost wax casting to make it as one piece.

Dan

That could be cast with a simple core . For that matter , if it's one that
has the inlet port at 90° to the main muffler , cast it as a solid , machine
the interior , cap the front with a threaded dome . Built an R/C boat once
upon a time . While I was saving up for the radio gear it "got broke" . Long
story ...

--
Snag
Hobby Caster