Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default San Bruno go boom!

aemeijers wrote:

On 9/11/2010 6:07 PM, A. Baum wrote:
On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 21:40:08 +0000, Han wrote:

"A. wrote in
news
Was the 54" main there when the allotment was created or installed
after?

The community dates from the 60s. I don't know who was first. I don't
think it matters at this moment.

Sure it matters. Maybe not to the explosion victims so much but rather
that you seemed to place PG&E at fault for placing the 54" 3 feet under
the community. Can't quote you exactly since you snipped that part out.

Pretty sure they don't put subdivisons, or at least the house
footprints, DIRECTLY on top of major gas transmission lines like that.
I've seen them cut across the corners of subdivisions, but the easement
always said there had to be a clear zone with no permanent structures
directly above, and instant access when needed, for sniffer trucks and
the big yellow things. The pipeline companies try real hard to lay them
out based on 30+ years of undisturbed usage. Almost always they go
through farm fields.

There was a nat. gas transmission line that blew in the northeast that
was directly *under* an apartment building and completely leveled it.

I've never seen a neighborhood distribution line bigger than 6-8 inches
or so.

The line appears to be a high pressure transmission line (~600 PSI I
believe), not a distribution line to service homes.