Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default San Bruno go boom!

Gary H wrote:

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 14:08:30 -0500, Pete C. wrote:

Gary H wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:31:21 -0500, Pete C. wrote: [snip]

What are the more safer alternatives?

In no particular order: Oil, wood, solar, coal, electric (resistive
or heat pump) none of which have ever caused a house explosion and
killed people.

They're also more polluting.

[snip]

Solar is most certainly not more polluting,

Consider the manufacture and disposal of solar cells.

Who said anything about solar cells? We're talking about safer
alternatives to nat. gas, which is primarily used for heating.
Manufacture and recycling of solar thermal collectors (air or water) is
pretty non-polluting and they are very recyclable.

nor is electric depending on
the generation source.

That (less polluting source) is likely to be unavailable to you. Most
electricity is made from coal.

I can purchase 100% wind generated power where I am. Folks in other
places can get 100% hydro.

In any case, pollution isn't much of a concern
vs. getting blown up.

I said nothing about relative concerns before, but it is. Maybe less
immediate but no less serious.

If I die at 85 vs. 90 due to pollution, I don't much care since quality
of life at those ages tends to be rather low. If I get blown up at 30
due to a nat. gas leak I'd be rather more upset.