Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default San Bruno go boom!

Wayne Whitney wrote:

On 2010-09-11, Pete C. wrote:

In any case, pollution isn't much of a concern vs. getting blown
up.

Well, let me first say that I found the statistics you referenced to
be informative and eye-opening. But I have to disagree with the above
statement. Pollution kills people, too. For example, burning wood
releases particulates, and particulates interfere with lung function
and can lead to premature death. I don't have the statistics
involved, but it may well be the case that burning wood causes as many
deaths due to pollution (per unit energy delivered) as natural gas
does through explosions.

Cheers, Wayne

There is a notable difference between being blown up in a nat. gas
explosion at say 25 vs. dying "prematurely" at 85 due to pollution.