Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
In article ,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

Other than that, they are still slow to wind up to
their full output, ...

We have some that, when you first turn them on, you'd hardly know you'd
done it. However I just yesterday replaced a dead 60W tungsten with a new
tubular one (see pic at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cfl_lamp to see what
I mean, top right) which when turned on flickers briefly, and then comes
on nearly at full whack, within a second. It then winds up to full
brightness over about 20 sec. I don't see this as an issue. SWMBO,
however, does.

--
Tim

I'm right with your missus on that one. That delay between flicking the
light switch, and actually getting light, drives ne up the wall. We have one
in our downstairs loo, and have had for a long time. Every time I go in
there and flick the light switch on, a thought rushes through my head, and
that is "**** - the bulb's gone" and that is followed a hundred milliseconds
later by "oh no it hasn't ..." For some reason, the expectation of instant
light is so deeply ingrained in me, that I just can't shake it. I also hate
that 'warmup' period. It just isn't right.

Arfa