Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Removing steel door frame from concrete block wall?

On 9/11/2010 4:08 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/11/2010 8:56 AM, wrote:
aemeijers wrote:
On 9/10/2010 10:01 PM,
wrote:
A small add-on to garage is concrete block with one door. The old door
is hollow core and falling apart. The frame is steel with no apparent
screws or fasteners showing. The frame has coats of old paint and a
little rust and I can't imagine how one would remove the steel frame.
Rather than replacing just the door, it is looking like it would be
easier, if we can remove the whole thing and replace with a pre-hung
door. Door is 32x80, 1 5/8".

Got an air chisel? Those frames are installed as the wall is built,
and have ears on the back that are mudded into the block. Hope you
have a lintel above it, otherwise the door frame is part of the wall
structure.

If the frame is sound, I'd take the old door slab to a commercial door
and window house, and have them see if they can find a matching
insulated steel door with same thickness, hinge spacing, etc. Might be
hard in a thin door like that.

Otherwise, time to call a mason in, unless you want to be brave and
try it yourself. Should not be too expensive. A good one can piece it
in with chunks of 4" block, or chunks of split block, so it looks like
it was always there. Run off any that say that they will just mud it in.

I was afraid of that ... built-in ) There is a lintel, but what
difference does it make? My daughter's home, so decision is hers and her
husband. I'd make a door with cross braces before I'd go for masonry
work....checked HFH and another reseller for used door.

Forgot to answer your lintel question- if there was no lintel (either
concrete precast, or single or double steel L running into the wall on
both sides), if you take out the door frame, the block right over the
door may succumb to gravity and fall down, especially if you vibrated
the wall a lot while removing the frame. Some places let a steel door
frame count as a lintel, at least for single-story walls that are not
carrying ceiling joists or roof above them.

--
aem sends...