Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Removing steel door frame from concrete block wall?

wrote the following:
A small add-on to garage is concrete block with one door. The old
door is hollow core and falling apart. The frame is steel with no
apparent screws or fasteners showing. The frame has coats of old
paint and a little rust and I can't imagine how one would remove the
steel frame. Rather than replacing just the door, it is looking like
it would be easier, if we can remove the whole thing and replace with
a pre-hung door. Door is 32x80, 1 5/8".

Actually, from what you described, it doesn't 'look' easier (or cheaper)
to replace the whole thing.
Scrape the paint off the center of the steel jamb on both sides and the
top to see if the screw heads are hidden under that old paint.
The screws are installed into wall anchors. If you find the screws
anchors, don't expect to be able to use the old screw anchors in the new
frame. You'll have to install new anchors in the wall to accept the frame.
If it were me, I'd leave the frame and just replace the door with a
solid wood or steel exterior door.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY