Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Removing steel door frame from concrete block wall?

I was afraid of that ... built-in ) There is a lintel, but what
difference does it make? My daughter's home, so decision is hers and
her husband. I'd make a door with cross braces before I'd go for
masonry work....checked HFH and another reseller for used door.

Surely there's a salvage place around that has old doors, etc.???

Good chances for finding an old exterior door altho used salvaged
interior doors on the garages and old shops here that have survived (w/
some rework) over 50 years so far and still going. I did reglue one
earlier this spring but I suspect it will now outlast me caring any
longer... This is pretty dry country (not desert, just 20" annual
rain average) so isn't like they stand in water here--longevity wouldn't
be quite as good back in TN or VA or similar...

I'd imagine simply putting another old hollow core back in the opening
would last for another 10+ years in all likelihood. Doesn't sound like
needs anything of consequence for the purpose.