Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default San Bruno go boom!

Kurt Ullman wrote:

In article .com,
"Pete C." wrote:

I'm not aware of any central nat. gas explosion clearing house, so
you'll just have to rely on the thousands of news reports of such
explosions for your proof, unless of course you think CNN and all the
various other TV stations and newspapers are faking those reports.

I don;'t have to rely on anything. You are the one making all of
the great pronouncements that you can't back up with facts. I also don't
find "thousands" of individual reports on CNN, etc. I see a few
explosions reported many times over.

Here are some statistics for you:

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF...sFactSheet.pdf

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF/GasFactSheet.pdf

http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/PDF...eFactSheet.pdf

I expect you'll consider the NFPA a reputable source.

What are the more safer alternatives?

In no particular order: Oil, wood, solar, coal, electric (resistive or
heat pump) none of which have ever caused a house explosion and killed
people. Yes, some of those heating sources have been known to cause
house fires, but those are slow and escapable unlike nat. gas
explosions. Requiring gas detectors ($50 or so) in homes with nat. gas
would go a long way towards improving safety, and indeed the generally
required CO detectors are available in dual CO / gas detectors for about
$60.

No comment on all the readily available safer alternatives to nat. gas?
Unlike the often cited auto deaths, we do have plenty of viable
alternatives to dangerous nat. gas.