Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default CTC 187 strange volume problem

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:45:29 -0700, klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I got a CTC 187 in with a complaint that after five minutes or so the
volume gradually decreases by itself. I was thinking possibly tact
switches but someone else said that it could be a bad eprom. I was
wondering how one might go about isolating this problem?. I ran this set
for a few days and never noticed a problem with the sound. I was about
to call the guy and have him pick it up and suggest that perhaps the
problem was the cable box when I mistakenly went to bed one night and
left it running in the shop. I woke up the next morning and realizing
that the set was on the first thing I noticed was that there was no
sound coming from the shop. I took a look at the screen and noticed that
every 2 or 3 seconds a volume bar would appear then disappear as thouh
the set was being addressed by either the front panel tact switch or the
remote. The volume indicator would show the sound to be all the way down
each time it would appear as it indeed was. I tried raising the sound up
and although the volume bar appeared and it did increment up it then
afterwards immediatly slowly incremented down by itself.agsin. I haven't
opened this thing yet as I really wanted to confirm his complaint first.
Now that I have and considering what I've observed, does anyone think
that the presence of the volume bar points to a leaky tact switch? Or
could the volume bar and subsequent function activation be initiated by
either a bad T chip or the processor? .
I guess what I'm wondering is if there is any way that the set could
produce a volume bar without the appropriate infrafed signal coming
through the IR receiver or the chip being addressed directly through the
tact switch? Thanks, Lenny

Unplug the IR receiver and tact switches ( P/J3001)then retest.