Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default CTC 187 strange volume problem

I got a CTC 187 in with a complaint that after five minutes or so the
volume gradually decreases by itself. I was thinking possibly tact
switches but someone else said that it could be a bad eprom. I was
wondering how one might go about isolating this problem?.
I ran this set for a few days and never noticed a problem with the
sound. I was about to call the guy and have him pick it up and suggest
that perhaps the problem was the cable box when I mistakenly went to
bed one night and left it running in the shop. I woke up the next
morning and realizing that the set was on the first thing I noticed
was that there was no sound coming from the shop. I took a look at the
screen and noticed that every 2 or 3 seconds a volume bar would appear
then disappear as thouh the set was being addressed by either the
front panel tact switch or the remote. The volume indicator would show
the sound to be all the way down each time it would appear as it
indeed was. I tried raising the sound up and although the volume bar
appeared and it did increment up it then afterwards immediatly slowly
incremented down by itself.agsin. I haven't opened this thing yet as I
really wanted to confirm his complaint first. Now that I have and
considering what I've observed, does anyone think that the presence of
the volume bar points to a leaky tact switch? Or could the volume bar
and subsequent function activation be initiated by either a bad T chip
or the processor? .
I guess what I'm wondering is if there is any way that the set could
produce a volume bar without the appropriate infrafed signal coming
through the IR receiver or the chip being addressed directly through
the tact switch? Thanks, Lenny