Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony[_19_] Tony[_19_] is offline

Default Roofing felt

On 9/10/2010 3:28 PM, Jules Richardson wrote:
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:25:59 -0400, clare wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 16:43:20 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 00:09:19 -0400, Tony wrote:
The company I bought my steel roof from told me that if there is
sheathing on the roof, then it needs felt. The felt is needed to
prevent any condensation causing any problems. If you do it *barn*
style with no sheathing, then no felt is needed since it will have
adequate ventilation. (that would be one hell of a pain in the ass if
it was needed!)

I think I'll probably end up doing my barn roof with it, then shingles
with the best warranty I can get - it gets some serious wind up the top
there, even when it's calm down below (it's around 40' to the ridge
line). Yes, it'll be a pain in the butt, but no worse than doing the
shingles themselves.

cheers

Jules

I'd never shingle a barn roof again.
Pre-coated steel, all the way.

Well, ours is a big ol' barrel-top one; it curves, but does have an apex
to it right at the top. I'm not sure what the options are there - I've
seen plenty of steel on ones with a peaked roof, or ones with a semi-
circular roof, but I'm not sure I could get something off-the-shelf
that'd fit ours (at least the corrugated steel panels, anyway; flat would
curve to fit well enough, but wouldn't be as strong).

Other thing I don't like about steel is that I see so many with huge
rusty streaks and patches on them; maybe the steel's better these days,
but I think I'd rather see a few curling shingles than rust in 30 years
time :-)

My steel roof came with a 50 year guarantee on the PAINT! I think it
will outlast me. (not sure if that's good or bad?) The one thing we
did is measured and drilled all the steel on the ground. It looks great
with all the screw heads in line. I've seen ones with screws all over
and it looks like crap.

There isn't much to rust anyway. The steel roof comes in sections as
long as your roof. (unless you buy it at lows or the depot). A steel
ridge vent and what can rust besides the screw holes? And if that
happened I'd go and replace that screw. It also bends a good deal.
Talk direct to some steel roof companies to see if a single sheet will
bend enough for your roof. By the way, I love the look of those barns
on the inside. Looks like the hull of an upside down ship.