Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Joel Koltner[_2_] Joel Koltner[_2_] is offline

Default ANSI reference designators - ANSI reference designators.pdf

"John Larkin" wrote in message
I took engineering drawing in college, and they forced us to learn to
draw good digits and decimal points. Physicists and architects and
rocket scientists seem to manage to use decimal points properly.

My understanding was that, regardless of how good your decimal points were, by
virtue or being physically small, in the process of Xeroxing and just regular
old wear and tear on the paper, sooner or later the decimal points would tend
to be lost, and *that* was the main impetus for "4k7" -- along with the fact
that even the the lowest-scording graduate in your class still went out and
got to put on an "engineer" cap.

Now that schematics are seldom Xeroxed and likely viewed as or more often on a
screen than on paper, I don't think the motivation really remains.

When I went to school EEs didn't take engineering drawing anymore, although
MEs still did. By now I expect their classes are all using SolidWorks or
AutoCAD or similar.

"4k7" screams amateur audio.

To me they just scream, "designed in Europe." :-)

SI unit designations don't look like
that. "IC1" and "TR9" look amateur, too.

I'm looking at a circuit board made by JVC here that uses "IC1" for big ICs
(like microcontrollers) -- although still "U1" for, e.g., regulators --,
"CON1" (connectors), "ESDA1" (little ESD-handling diode arrays), "JP1"
(jumpers) and "CN1" (also a connector -- not sure how it's different from the
"CON1" connectors).

You can add them to your list of places you'd prefer not to work at. :-)

---Joel