Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Motion Sensor Light for Front Entrance

On Sep 10, 12:52*pm, wrote:
On Sep 10, 11:09*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On Sep 10, 8:42*am, wrote:

On Sep 9, 11:06*pm, Mark Lloyd
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:19:30 -0700, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Where do I find the "x10 wireless receiver" that talks to the x10
switch?

They call that module a "transceiver" . The models I have are RR501 and
TM751.Both have built-in appliance modules.

Yes. * Sorry for the confusion when I called it a wireless receiver..
It's been a while since I bought one. * The one I used is the TM751..
And as Mark points out, it has a receptacle at the bottom that you can
plug something into that you want to control as well. * When it
receives the signal from the wireless motion sensor, it turns on or
off the outlet and sends the X10 signal down the AC line.

--
107 days until The winter celebration (Saturday December 25, 2010
12:00:00 AM).

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.us

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not
understanding the world." -- Richard Dawkins- Hide quoted text -

"Sorry for the confusion when I called it a wireless receiver"

No problem, but I'm still just a tad confused by the different terms
used.

I was looking at the manual for a 3 way-switch WS4777 found at:

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/ws4777-is.pdf

They use the following lines:

• Set the House Code dial to the same letter (A thru P) that you set
on your X10 controller(s).
• Set the Unit Code dial to an unused code (1 - 16) which can be
controlled from any X10 controller.

Are the RR501 and TM751 "Transceivers" also known as "Controllers"?

The use of the term "controller" above means the the switch will
respond to commands on the AC line from any "controller" that issues a
command. * In your case that command comes from the wireless motion
sensor you will be using. *The transceiver receives the command
wirelessly and puts it onto the AC line. * So, it's passing it along
and I guess you could consider the transceiver as a type of
controller.

Basicly, the transceiver unit just passes along what it receives.
But it also has an X10 outlet that responds to commands as any other
one would. * The only difference is that it is hard-wired as Unit #1.
In your application you don't need the outlet so you could ignore it.

So, you just set the motion sensor, transceiver and wall switch to the
same house code. * *Then you set the motion sensor to any unit # and
the wall switch to the same unit #. * If you select unit #1, the
outlet on the transceiver will go on and off at the same time as the
wall switch. *If you select any other unit #, only the wall switch
will be activated.

You can also set the light on time, dusk to dawn, etc on the motion
sensor as well.

One last question (I doubt it!)

I plan to play with X10 at my house before buying anything for my Dad
who lives 300 miles away.

I currently have a spot light with a motion sensor on a 3 way switch.
The motion sensor works fine for the driveway as you approach from the
front, but I've always wanted to be able to turn it on as I walk up
the dark side of the house from behind it. The side path is not within
the coverage area of the current sensor, but the light would
illuminate the steps up to the driveway at the end of the path.

So it sounds like a X10 remote sensor on the side of the house could
be used to control that light. So here's the question:

Can I retain the current motion sensor that is wired into the fixture
for the driveway approach or do I need to disable that one and install
a X10 sensor for the front of the house also?- Hide quoted text -

I don;t know of any way to make it work as a parallel type
arrangement. *The only way I can see it working would be to convert it
to 2 of the X10 motion sensors, make the light so it's always on ie
disable the motion sensor on it, replace the switch with an X10 switch
and use the transceiver.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks!

I must be learning something becasue that's exactly what I thought
your answers would be.

I'll put my order together and get busy.