Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mathew Newton Mathew Newton is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

On 7 Sep, 12:40, David Hansen wrote:
On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:58:53 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
wrote this:-

There's money to be made for sure, as so many people still hate CFLs.

A loud but small group claim they hate CFLs, the silent majority get
on fine with them.

We're a great fan of incandescent lighting, particularly the use of
'soft' bulbs with dimmers, and so for years we have disregarded the
use of CFLs given the colour rendition, startup times and size where,
in our opinion, they've not performed well at all.

However, when shopping recently for some replacement 40W 'golf ball'
bulbs for some table lamps in the conservatory I decided to drop my
prejudices and go for CFLs. I found some Philips Softone golf-ball
CFLs which looked to be just the ticket - okay I couldn't dim them but
they were something like 32W equivalent so it was worth a shot,
particular as our incandescents were also Philips softone...

So disappointed. Gutted in fact. Perhaps my expectations were too high
but I was really expecting to be pleased with them as I'd hoped that
as the years had gone by these things had got better. Not only were
they slow to start (I noted on the box afterwards they reach 60%
output within 10-80 seconds!) but the colour rendition was awful - our
ginger cat looked quite ill! I'd hoped that the softone aspect,
particularly given that were from the same brand as I'd used
previously for the incandescents, would have made them okay but there
weren't. To be fair they were better than I'd seen previously from
CFLs but still made the room look 'cold'.

My girlfriend was unaware of my experiment but immediately spotted I'd
been up to something and asked what on Earth I'd done with the lights.
Okay, so any variation from the norm would likely have been noticed so
that doesn't mean much, however suffice to say she demanded they be
removed and so back to the shop they've gone.

Should I persevere, or is this as good as they get?

Mathew