Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default The good ole days?

On 2010-09-10, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:53:12 +0100, T i m wrote:

The repair guy said that the older HP printers were a lot better than
the 5L (but bigger and more expensive). I have a number of LaserJet
4+{M} machines, and they are wonderful....not trouble to service etc.

Hmm, I've also got a couple of them (with paper-path issues) but they
are much bigger and heavier than this 5L.

Is this the concertina effect at the back end of the paper?

My 5M does this, especially if printing a lot of pages. Is there a
straight-forward cure?

Replace the exit rollers (two shafts at the back). New rollers are pretty
cheap, and I have a document that I wrote which explains how to do it (a
bit easier to read than the entire service manual).

I've never had much success with messing with the old rollers, myself.

The place I used to get them seems to have given up on printers. These
people do them in a kit that includes the pickup stuff too:

http://www.click4spares.co.uk/acatalog/LJ4.html

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org