Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Soda Blasting?

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 23:33:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

"Joseph Gwinn" wrote in message
In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup
method is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but
I'm planning to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

[snip]

In a crawl space, is it necessary to physically remove the mold, or will
killing it suffice?

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/cleanmold1.htm

Joe Gwinn

From what I've read, the "Toxic" black mold had spores that are harmful
even if dead. Also, the information I have looked up on mold says it is
everywhere but needs moisture to live and grow. From my understanding if
you have a mold problem it's just a symptom of a moisture problem, the
root cause. Tearing out the flooring in my bedroom will give me access to bad
floor joists that need replaced and will also give me easier access to the
crawl space for putting down a moisture barrier, sealing vents, and
installing a sump pump and dehumidifier.

I'm having the house pesticided, my floor and beams under the house
treated with TimBor, a vapor barrier put down, and insulation
installed next week. The company doing it will take my ITEX barter
bucks (80%, anyway), which I've saved up for a while now. I hate
working under houses and with fiberglass, though the new stuff is far
less itchy than the old.

Luckily, I have no mold nor termites, but I may have some carpenter
ants.

If you will take the floor out it's easier to remove the mold, but still
people are exposed to dead mold all the time and are none the worse for
it.

There are lots of different types of mold, Joe, but the toxic black
stuff is much nastier than most. I choose to wear a respirator around
lawn mowing, dust, sawdust, and -any- mold. I hope nobody with toxic
black mold takes yours words to heart and disturbs it without
respiratory protection.

When you say "toxic black mold", what species do you mean? I've handled lots of
black mold, and are none the worse for it. That said, there are lots of mold
species.

Some people aren't bothered by it, while other people get quite sick,
or die.

enough left over to pay them.