Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

"T i m" wrote in message
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:55:28 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I immediately removed the CFL, and committed it to the junk box, where it
can languish until I decide to use it for lighting the loft, or to chuck
it.
I took a standard 60 watt incandescent bulb from another little-used
fitting, and put that in the hallway instead. "Ah", said the daughter,
"that's better" ! And you know what else ? It was ... Much better ...

So, you tried to do some painting under the light of a CFL and you
were confused by the result ... ?

Where did I ever say that ... ? It is you who seems confused, my friend ...

Whenever I'm doing any decorating I fit some f-off big incandescent's
in a couple of places and take the shades off and make very sure I
have /plenty/ of light to work by (or better still, real daylight).

It was done in daylight, and until we bought the new shade, there was a
naked 100 watt pearl light bulb in a hanging pendant fitting. Prior to that,
we had a 60 watt clear in the previous lampshade, which was not going to
suit the new one we bought, because it would be totally visible, and would
look really pony in a clear type. The new shade was rated max 60 watts, so I
either needed a 60 watt pearl diffused bulb, which nowhere sells any more,
or a P.O.S. CFL pretend pearl light bulb, a spiral or other tube-knot type
again not being decoratively valid for the type of new shade.

But then I take them out and am happy with CFL's (including life span,
brightness, start-up-time, energy consumption, price and running
temperature) for the rest of the time.

Lucky you. I hope you never pick any colours that the CFLs don't have
spectrum content for then.

Oh, and if our daughter didn't like the colour of the decor ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m

But her not liking the colour of the decor was not the point, and was
actually a valid observation, because the colours were not the same - not
even matched - as they were under daylight or tungsten light. Under the
dreadful CFL light, the colours were drab, muted, and decidedly sickly
green. Actually not nice, or as intended. Under proper light, she had no
problem with our choice of colours or the matching of them.

Arfa