Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default ANSI reference designators - ANSI reference designators.pdf

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:25:02 -0700, Fred Abse
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:25:57 -0700, John Larkin wrote:

Schematics that use
such designators are invariably amateur crap circuits in their own
right. They generally use the dreadful "4K7" thing too.

The "4k7" thing is not entirely without merit. Have you never encountered
a badly reproduced, or hand drawn schematic, where decimal points are
either missing, or produced by artifacts of the repro process?

I took engineering drawing in college, and they forced us to learn to
draw good digits and decimal points. Physicists and architects and
rocket scientists seem to manage to use decimal points properly.

"4k7" screams amateur audio. SI unit designations don't look like
that. "IC1" and "TR9" look amateur, too.

I recall wasting a lot of time on a problem where a resistor, apparently
51 ohm, should have been 5.1 ohm. Faxed (thermal) schematic, not obvious
from context.

Thermal fax? When?

5 1 should give you a hint that it's not 51.

I've recently seen a hand-drawn 4k7 that looked like 457.

John