Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default ? How much to pay

Bob-tx wrote the following:
Here in central Texas, we had 12+ inches of rain last Wednesday &
Wednesday night. We needed it but it is too late to save my
grass/weeds. Anyway, we had a leak around the fireplace chimney, and
it soaked about four or five square feet of sheetrock. My son-in-law
is an excellent carpenter and fix anything type of guy. He is fifty
years old, and has a lot of experience. This is what he does for a
living.

I know he does good work from seeing his home that he built, as well
as other jobs. I trust his judgment, honesty, and ability. I have
asked him if he would take the job of finding the leak, fixing it, and
repairing the sheetrock. He came out today, and looked around the
chimney, and found some problems (some flashing problems and some
mortar problems). Of course, he doesn't know for sure but it is a
good place to start and then test it.

Anyway, I have a concern that he will not charge me his regular going
rate, which I can understand, but I am going to have to hire someone
to do the work since I am just too old to be climbing ladders and
doing that kind of work any more. So, if he doesn't do the work, I
am going to have to hire an unknown person to do it, and I would
prefer my son-in-law that I trust and admire his work ethic. So, I
want to pay him what I'd have to pay someone else, but I don't know
what that would be.

I know hourly rates would vary widely by location for a number of
reasons. But could you guys maybe get me in the ballpark on what I
should pay him. I am sure he will try to charge me a good deal less
than normal. If someone from the central Texas area (North of Austin)
has any input, that would be especially helpful

Thanks in advance. Bob-tx

He's your son in law. If he doesn't want to charge you the going rate,
then don't push it.
How would your daughter feel if he charged you like he would for any
other person?
If you feel he undercharged you, buy him a tool he may need.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY