Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default Biscuit joiner

On 9/9/2010 2:36 AM, CW wrote:
How many here have them and how many use them?

I have my router set up with a slot cutter bit in a router table,, so in
a sense I have a biscuit cutter. I use it every time I use the table saw.

If your question is really what kind of biscuit joiner should you get,
that depends on what you are doing. If you are placing biscuits in
wide boards or plywood a hand held unit would probably do best, as it is
better for cutting into face surfaces.

If you are doing like me, and making a lot of biscuits in to end
surfaces, then a table top unit works best.

I make a lot of picture frames and stretchers for my wife. (Acrylics on
stretched canvase). My use biscuits to join the frames or stretchers
together with the 45 degree joints. I have two fences on the Router
table. On the primary fence is adjusted for the depth of the biscuit
into the piece. and the other as a kick back fence. After the height
of the blade is adjusted and the depth, I can cut many pieces quite
quickly. First lay the frame side between the fences on one side of the
router table and move it into the blade, then do the same thing for the
other end on the other side of the table. I cut 40 biscuits slots in 20
frames sides in about 5 minutes yesterday.