Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default More on light bulbs ...

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 06:56:43 +0100, David Hansen
wrote:

On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 01:52:49 +0100 someone who may be "Arfa Daily"
wrote this:-

And on the subject of sustainable electricity generation, the ugly noisy
windmills that are sprouting up all over the countryside to distract drivers
and cause more deaths on the roads

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And the ear.

Having been to some of the largest wind farms in the UK I have a
little idea about noise. There is certainly some machinery noise if
one stands directly under the nacelle. By about 10 metres from the
base of the tower it is inaudible. Noise from the blades can be
heard further away, but by the time one is the height of the top of
the blade away one cannot hear it. With a large wind farm, if close
enough one can typically hear noise from the nearest turbine or two
but no others. From outside a wind farm the sound of tractors is the
loudest sound, then other motor vehicles, then humans speaking, then
sheep and then birds. The noise of the wind in the trees is louder
than the noise of the wind farm

Not my experience. When going on a walk in the countryside I heard
(or felt) a very disturbing low pitch sound well before I could even
see any wind turbines. As I approached it got worse and I left the
area as quickly as possible.
--
(\__/) M.