Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing felt

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 18:34:51 -0500, "
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2010 18:59:46 +0000 (UTC), Jules Richardson
wrote:

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:48:46 -0700, keith wrote:

On Sep 8, 11:43Â*am, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 00:09:19 -0400, Tony wrote:
The company I bought my steel roof from told me that if there is
sheathing on the roof, then it needs felt. Â*The felt is needed to
prevent any condensation causing any problems. Â*If you do it *barn*
style with no sheathing, then no felt is needed since it will have
adequate ventilation. Â*(that would be one hell of a pain in the ass
if it was needed!)

I think I'll probably end up doing my barn roof with it, then shingles
with the best warranty I can get - it gets some serious wind up the top
there, even when it's calm down below (it's around 40' to the ridge
line). Yes, it'll be a pain in the butt, but no worse than doing the
shingles themselves.

I wouldn't spend more for a warranty. Better shingles (if you can
determine "better") certainly, but IMO shingle warranties are worthless.

Yeah, I'm not certain what current thinking is there. I see 25 year
warranties, 30, 50, and 'lifetime' - but often the 'lifetime' ones seem
to be for shingles that can tolerate a much lower maximum wind speed (and
they really do quote that as max speed, not "warranty up to x mph, but we
expect they'll handle much more").

I get the impression that the current "sweet spot" is probably 30yr
shingles with a high wind speed rating (120mph or so) - they're a
reasonable price, reasonable lifespan, but should take a few exceptional
storms.

Probably, but don't go by the "30yr" number. It's a marketeering number.

Generally speaking a 30 year roof needs replacement in about 17.