Posted to alt.home.repair

Default primer for oil based paint

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 15:21:12 -0700, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 9/6/2010 6:36 PM spake thus:

On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 17:58:51 +0000 (UTC), Tegger
wrote:

ypylaw1 wrote in news:14439ce8-ee7b-40ae-9192-
:

I,m painting fiberglass door
I have oil based paint
Do I need oil based primer

Nope.

I recommend Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3. Just about the finest primer
I've ever used. It's water-based, and can go over or under any oil-
or water-based finish.

I would NOT use an oil based paint on a fiberglass door. And mine
came pre-primed.

Why not, and what would you use?

Seems to me oil-based primer is going to stick to just about anything as
well as any paint can.

Why not oil based? Because good acrylic latex actually stands up
better - and if you are going to use higher end paint - like
automotive paint, the water born pre-catalysed urethanes are better
than air dry enamel and less fuss than acrylic laquer or acrylic
enamel.- and every bit as good on fiberglass.