Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Carver PM-1.5a amp

"Arfa Daily"

May not be a genuine problem that you're seeing. Like you, I always bring
suspect amps up with a variac, but on more than a few occasions, I've seen
amps that just do not like reduced supply input levels, and behave exactly
as you describe, but with no obvious signs of distress from the output
stages. If you (dare to) keep going up, suddenly, everything evens out,
and the input current returns to a more 'normal' level.

** The PM-1.5 will explode if you do this.

...... Phil