Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Why are schools dumping auto shop, wood shop, and metal shop?

Gunner Asch wrote:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:50:37 -0500, "William Wixon"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 12:32:58 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

Oh, heck, Gunner, we believe you. As I suggested, I've read
Ecclesiastes,
too, and I appreciate a good aphorism as much as the next guy.

I figure you've picked up your literary style from the Holy
Handloaders for
Buddha and Discount House of Pistol Primers. d8-)

Did he ask the guy to hold the nail while he pounded it? Or did he
hold the guy's hand down with one hand, while he held the nail with
his other hand, and swung the hammer with his third hand? Somebody
should make a movie about this school he went to, where there are
bullies who one day beat up folks, and the next stand still to get
their hands nailed to benches by nerdy 4H types. No, not what you
think, the one that's for hard-up tellers of humiliating harebrained
hogwash.

Wayne

in like 7th grade (wood)shop i had the resident tough-nut punk "bad"
kid take the bellows (from the sand casting area), pack the end with
casting sand and BLOW it into my eyes. i don't believe he got in
trouble either. me, as a kid i was trained to keep my mouth shut and
take abuse.

b.w.

Had the shop bully get his just deserts. Kid spilled turpentine on his
pants legs, and another victim,,,,,err... kid filled the bricks on the
welding bench with a nice slow flow of actylene, moments before the
bully fired up the torch and approached the bench. I understand the
smell of melting rayon mixed with the smell of burning pork is pretty
ugly.

Kid was out of class for the rest of the year, for some reason. When he
came back the next year..he was much different, and moved a lot slower
oddly enough..
He never did run real good after he came back, and you know..he stopped
picking on other kids.

Sometimes it really pays to, at the least..get along with people.

The bully in my metal shop class was caught by three of his former
victims. He would sneak up behind people with a welding hammer and slip
it up between their legs, then jerk it back while he called them names.

They waited for the teacher to leave for a minute, then two held him
down while the third hit him between the legs with the same welding
hammer he'd used on them, only harder. His attitude changed a lot,
after that.

enough left over to pay them.