Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Soda Blasting?

In article ,
"RogerN" wrote:

"ATP" wrote in message

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup
method is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but I'm
planning to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

Do I need to get a "Soda Blaster" or can I just get a Harbor Freight
pressurized abrasive blaster and fill it with baking soda? Just
wondering how much difference there is between an "Abrasive Blaster" and
a "Soda Blaster"?

RogerN

I've done a lot of soda blasting. You need a special setup or the soda
will just run right out and the media cost will kill you. Baking soda,
even the larger particles that you blast with, is way finer than black
beauty or other typical media. The baking soda blaster also has some
special fittings you will need to clear clogs that result from moisture.
While it may be more healthy than using other types of blasting media, you
can still do a number on your lungs with the soda storm you create. I
think a crawlspace is the last place I'd want to blast. Consider using
chemical solutions and a garden sprayer instead.

I have some new 3M 7800s full face respirators with air supply hoses I
bought on eBay, I bought mostly because of mold spores but should also keep
baking soda out of lungs. I was originally wanting to blast the mold off
with a pressure washer and a mold cleaning chemical. I heard this would
blast where you didn't want including making stains on the carpet above.

In a crawl space, is it necessary to physically remove the mold, or will killing
it suffice?

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

http://www.inspectapedia.com/sickhouse/cleanmold1.htm

Joe Gwinn