Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default Soda Blasting?

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...
For my crawl space mold problem I've heard the professional cleanup method
is soda blasting. The worst areas are getting new wood but I'm planning
to clean up areas that don't need the wood replaced.

Do I need to get a "Soda Blaster" or can I just get a Harbor Freight
pressurized abrasive blaster and fill it with baking soda? Just wondering
how much difference there is between an "Abrasive Blaster" and a "Soda
Blaster"?

RogerN

I've done a lot of soda blasting. You need a special setup or the soda will
just run right out and the media cost will kill you. Baking soda, even the
larger particles that you blast with, is way finer than black beauty or
other typical media. The baking soda blaster also has some special fittings
you will need to clear clogs that result from moisture. While it may be more
healthy than using other types of blasting media, you can still do a number
on your lungs with the soda storm you create. I think a crawlspace is the
last place I'd want to blast. Consider using chemical solutions and a garden
sprayer instead.