Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Thies Jeff Thies is offline

Default toe kick idea

On 9/6/2010 12:06 PM, aemeijers wrote:
On 9/6/2010 10:17 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:
Since I have little real world remodeling experience I like to run my
"concepts" by someone else!

The kitchen (1929 house, not level floor) is getting redone with euro
style cabinets I'll be making, those will just be simple boxes. Here is
what I was thinking of for the toe kick.

The toe kick will be a 3/4" plywood (perhaps OSB since it's flat and I
have it, but I have some mixed grade 3/4" regular plywood) platform with
some screw legs (perhaps from IKEA) to level it. I'll have some furring
strips attached to the edge. I can then take the material (probably fir
1 x 4 or 1/2" plywood) I'll use for the face of the toe kick and set it
on the floor and scribe a line to cut off the top.

Does this sound reasonable? Not all my ideas are!

Jeff

Are you hard-fastening the cabinets, or doing them truly euro-style as
removable furniture? A plywood base on adjustable legs saves a lot of
shimming, and the toe-kick can be fastened Ikea-style with clips.

OSB OK? I Have a limited supply of 3/4" plywood and it's hard to get
good plywood.

They won't be moving once I put them in, but they will be stand alones.
There will be a granite tile (18" squares) counter top (at ~ $2/SF) and
the backsplash will be attached to the wall and siliconed on top of the
counter.

My idea here is to have no spaces for stuff to fall through, unlike
what I had! It was like an archeological dig removing the old.

I went to IKEA Monday and it was packed with babies and young women
spending huge money on nesting.

What I got were the big plastic screw feet (Akurum). They had, by
far, the largest adjustment range (over an inch).

Didn't see how they attached the kick, but not for not trying!

Any ideas on garbage? Was looking for a slide out can with a standard
size liner.

Thanks,
Jeff

For
that matter, you can fasten it with magnets or velcro. Makes getting
smelly mouse corpses out from underneath much easier. Duct tape over the
nose, flashlight and shop vac.