Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Piloted valve problem

On Tue, 07 Sep 2010 00:00:53 GMT, (dan) wrote:

What's that Lassie? You say that Ignoramus6489 fell down the old
rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue
by Mon, 06 Sep 2010 10:47:52 -0500:

Is there anyone here who has some experience with sub-base mounted
pneumatic valves?

The valve that controls the speed adjustment motor is not working
quite right.

I know the follownig.

1. It is a sub-base mounted valve with 5 ports.
2. It has two soleniods.
3. When air is applied directly to the speed control motor, without
the valve, the motor works great.

Check the exhaust ports. If they have those sintered metal mufflers,
they may be plugged.

Ah! Yes indeed! A common enough problem in commercial machine shops.

4. When I use the soleniod valve to control the motor, it hisses a lot
and i barely moving the motor (compared to previous test).
5. I took the valve apart and did not find anything obviously wrong:

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/SpeedValve/

I have a feeling that I simply did not find what was wrong with the
valve.

My first question is, does it look like a standard sub-base valve?
What are the standards? Can it be replaced with something off the
shelf?

Haven't seen it as I am on dial-up and your pictures are usually quite
large. But have you considered using any 4-way valve? Just have to
plumb it in and wire it up.

My second question, is how would I go about diagnosing why exactly
does this not seem to work right.

I am the Sword of my Family
and the Shield of my Nation.
If sent, I will crush everything you have built,
burn everything you love,
and kill every one of you.
(Hebrew quote)